Welcome to the Town of Laguna Vista Public Library
Laguna Vista Public Library
Rules & Regulations
The Laguna Vista Public Library’s public behavior rules are intended to (1) protect the rights and safety of library users, (2) protect the rights and safety of staff members, and (3) preserve and protect the library’s materials, facilities and property.
Library users who violate the Rules of Conduct may be subject to the suspension of their library privileges, be excluded from the Library and/or face legal action. A copy of the Rules of Conduct will be posted in each library facility.
In situations where library staff members feel that the health, safety or security of library users or staff members are threatened, they may take any and all appropriate action including, but not limited to, calling the police for assistance.
Library staff members may ask a library user to leave the premises with or without prior warning, depending upon the seriousness of the violation. Library staff members may also exclude a patron or visitor from BPL facilities.
The Laguna Vista Public Library may impose a further suspension of Library privileges. If the Library decides to impose such a suspension, the patron or visitor will be so advised by registered mail. Any patron whose library privileges are suspended under these rules has a right to appeal.
Director will complete an Incident Report ( ) for every applicable incident. Send one copy to the City Hall, and keep one copy in the local facility.
Library Users must adhere to the following Rules of Conduct:
Illegal Activities, including but not limited to:
1. Committing or attempting to commit any activity that constitutes a violation of any federal, state or local statute or ordinance.
2. Engaging in sexual conduct or lewd behavior on library premises
3. Use of controlled substances on library premises.
4. Smoking or other use of tobacco inside library buildings.
5. Drinking alcoholic beverages on library premises.
Harmful, Disruptive, or Destructive behavior, including but not limited to:
6. Engaging in conduct that disrupts or interferes with the normal operation of the library, or disturbs staff and library users. Such conduct includes:
a. The use of abusive or threatening language or gestures
b. Creation of unreasonable noise
c. Loud or boisterous behavior or talking
7. Using library materials, equipment, furniture, fixtures or buildings in a destructive, abusive or potentially damaging manner, in a manner likely to cause personal injury to any person or in any other manner inconsistent with the customary use thereof.
8. Disobeying the reasonable direction of library staff members.
9. Soliciting, petitioning or distributing written materials or canvassing on library premises for any purpose without express permission of the Library staff. Such conduct extends to any soliciting, petitioning, distributing or canvassing outside of library premises in such a manner as to impede access to or egress from a library facility.
10. Interfering with the free passage of library staff members or library users in or onto library premises including, but not limited to, placing objects such as bicycles, skateboards, scooters, strollers, shopping carts or backpacks in such a manner as to impede free passage in or onto the premises.
11. Bringing bicycles and other means of transportation inside library buildings, including, but not limited to, vestibules or covered doorways, where no bicycle rack is provided.
12. Parking vehicles on library premises for purposes other than official library use. Vehicles parked in violation of this rule may be towed at the owner’s expense.
Other inappropriate behavior:
13. Bringing animals other than service animals inside library buildings without the prior permission of library staff.
14. Violating the library’s Policy & Guidelines for Responsible Internet Use. This policy is available in print at every Brooklyn Public Library facility and posted on the Laguna Vista Public Library Website.
15. Sleeping in library premises.
16. Use of library restrooms for bathing, shaving, washing hair, or changing clothes.
17. Use of any personal electronic equipment, including cellular phones, radios, CD players, etc., at a volume that disturbs others.
18. Entering library buildings with bare feet or bare chest.
19. Disturbing others because of offensive body odor.
Conduct Rules and Regulations
The following actions are prohibited on Library property:
– Selling and/or soliciting
– Distributing or posting printed materials/literature that the Library has not approved
– Soliciting for money, items or services
– Soliciting for purposes of prostitution
– Possessing or consuming alcohol or illegal drugs, being under the influence of alcohol or drugs
– Smoking or other uses of tobacco
– Consuming food or beverages in any type container or bringing in packaged or unpackaged food or beverages
– Sleeping or putting one’s head on the table
– Not wearing shoes or shirt, or wearing clothes unbuttoned or unzipped
– Putting feet or legs on the furniture
– Bringing animals or pets into the Library (except guide dogs for the blind or hearing-impaired)
– Any loud, unreasonable, and/or disturbing noises created by person, or electronic devices
– Intentionally damaging, destroying, or stealing any Library, patron’s or employee’s
– Taking Library materials into rest rooms
– Removing Library material from the premises without authorization through established lending procedures
– Playing cards or games of any kind
– Adults using children’s area. This area is for children and their parents or care providers only
– Leaving any child or young adult (up to age 17) in the Library after closing time
– Misuse of the rest rooms. Rest rooms are for Library patrons only. No changing of clothes or bathing is allowed
– Bringing in bedrolls, blankets, frame backpack or suitcases. Large duffel bags or plastic bags measuring more than two and one-half feet in length or height will not be allowed
– Carrying weapons of any type
– Engaging in disorderly conduct, fighting or challenging to fight, or using offensive words likely to provoke violence
– Using obscenely or abusive acts/language
– Any other illegal acts or conduct violating Federal, State, or local law, ordinance or regulation
• Failure to comply with the Library’s established rules and regulations may result in exclusion from the Library for the day or permanently, or in arrest
• Theft of Library materials is a serious offense and will result in permanent
exclusion from the Library and arrest
• Communication of threats, physical violence or sexual offenses will result in
• Trespassers will be arrested and prosecuted